A guide to choosing a name for your company
- You need to choose a company name when you register a company.
- The name needs to be distinctive and cannot copy other companies.
- You should do a search of company names before you choose your own to make sure that your preferred name is not already taken.
- The company name must have the word ‘limited’ or ‘ltd’ at the end.
- Registration of a company name provides limited name protection – that is, it will prevent another company being incorporated under an identical or almost identical name.
- You can change the name of your company online through the Companies Registry. See Maintain a Company’s Details for guidance. You will have to pay a fee if you wish to change the company name.
Note | This information is intended as a guide only – it is not intended as legal advice. For more detailed information please refer to the legislation or seek legal advice.